Guidance and supporting resources
Quick links to key documents, videos and support materials for online Music Theory exams.
Syllabus updates and exam questions for online exams from 2020:
- Full guidelines for online Music Theory exams at Grades 1 to 5. These include important information for applicants, teachers, parents and candidates including:
- booking an exam
- the equipment the candidates will need
- the role of the responsible adult
- organising exams for multiple candidates in one location
- the exam itself – including accessing the online exam platform
- what candidates need to do at the start of the exam
- the proctoring and security measures that will be place
- results and certificates
- Step by step guide to taking the exam; from downloading the software to submitting your exam answers
- ABRSM online Music Theory exam – System set up and room scan
- This video shows you how to carry out the room scan.
- If possible, the room candidates take the exam in should be free from notes, books of any kind, any depiction of musical notes and any representation of a piano keyboard. As shown in the demo.
- If a candidate is not able to access a room free of these items, then all books should remain closed and out of reach, and any depiction of musical notation or representation of a piano keyboard, including an actual piano, should be covered so they are not visible.